Wildlife: Heidi Chronicles: Question to All Readers, 1 by AmandaEsq

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright AmandaEsq

In reply to: Heidi Chronicles: Question to All Readers

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Heidi Chronicles: Question to All Readers
AmandaEsq wrote:
Thanks everybody! Rita is a she, thankfully. Males get very aggressive during breeding season, even if there aren't any females around to impress. I know people who have received some pretty serious bites requiring stitches and emergency room visits. We have been fortunate with Rita. She has never bitten one of us, with the exception of two of the cats, I'm to understand.

While I was traving for work my BF said that on separate occasions two of the cats showed red around the neck and hair loss. Probably mucking around with her when she was smaller made her nervous and perhaps to react.

Fortunately she's so much larger now no body messes with her. Or didn't used to. We have two kittens now who are just over a year now. They like to watch her move around. She Will take care of herself if necessary. Doubt she'd bite, probably just whack 'em with her tail.

She's at least 8 years old. She's a rescue from a mom and pop "pet store." She weighs about ten pounds and spends .most of her time on a shelf about eye level (for me, 5' ish) looking out an east facing window (absolute requirement when looking for this new house when we moved). She has her own room because of her very specific heat, light, and high humidity requirements. She's got very important food/ nutritional requirements too. If anyone really knew (or cared!) how much effort it takes to keep 'em healthy, no one would have them. They are wild animals and I respect Rita' s moods and her body language, posture, etc. She definitely tells me if she doesn't want me to mess with her.

She's a fussy eater, my bad probably, spoiled her I have, and in breeding season will stop eating completely to live off fat stored in her tail. She may or may not develop eggs to lay. the whole process is maddening and makes me very anxious. From about mid December till End of February or into March. In between my job is to get as much food as possible into her gut, which is sometimes a challenge when all she wants to eat is red grapes.

O well. Happy to answer any more question

Cheryl if you're serious about painting an iguana I'm sure we probably have plenty of photos to choose from. She is so beautiful in a wild exotic way. I am fascinated with her still even after being together since summer 2006.

Thanks for listening. :)