Photo by Melody

Tropicals & Tender Perennials: whos going to grow amorph titanum this year?, 1 by tropicbreeze

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tropicbreeze

In reply to: whos going to grow amorph titanum this year?

Forum: Tropicals & Tender Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of whos going to grow amorph titanum this year?
tropicbreeze wrote:
We're on the other side of mid winter, and come August it should stay consistently warmer. The last couple of mornings we had what I call our freezes, got down to 11.5C. Going up now so hope that's it for the year.

The titanum that's never gone dormant (always had one or two new leaves fully open before the oldest withered) is still going with only one leaf now. It was sitting in the biggest titanum's pot and because I couldn't repot (because it's constantly growing) I cut part of the pot away and filled over with new soil. When the old large titanum finally withered I took out the tuber and filled in with new soil. So now the young one has the whole pot to itself.

The seedling that did go dormant is getting ready to unfurl its leaflets. It's much smaller than the seedling that has never gone dormant. But it has new soil so should go well.

The old larger tuber is sitting in a box. Got a new pot and set it up with soil and now letting the soil settle in. Tomorrow I hope to put fungicide through it, and a few days later replant the large tuber. It's not showing any sign of emerging, apart from a small stub at the top of the tuber. But it's better off in the pot. It's always been an end of November/early December starter.

They're all in the new location, shade from tree canopy, up against a tough species of bamboo, and sheltered from wind by lots of trees and other plants.