Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Can live oaks be used as patio trees, 1 by Gourd

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gourd

Subject: Can live oaks be used as patio trees

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Can live oaks be used as patio trees
Gourd wrote:
We just got two 7 ft Live Oaks in 15 gallon pots. It gets between 100 to 105 several times during the summer months so anything in pots dries up pretty fast. My concern is this, we bought them yesterday, they sat in full sun till this afternoon, and the leaves looked a little dry so we watered them and the water ran right out of one of the pots.

These trees are planted all over las cruces New Mexico and El Paso , TX. So they can obviously take some high temps. I don't know if they are on drip systems at all these businesses such as walmarts, Walgreens, SAMs, etc...but they seem to be hardy.

I don't want to lose these. Do I need to pot them up. Or planted in ground? Feed them, what to feed them.

The trees that did not last last spring were chitalpa trees the same size as these, I kept them in pots, fertilized weekly a liquid all purpose fertizer, but they dried up despite watering them every other day, maybe I drowned them.

These are the Live Oaks that we got yesterday. Thank you for your help.