Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-South Gardening: July SIZZLES right along!, 1 by marsue

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright marsue

In reply to: July SIZZLES right along!

Forum: Mid-South Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of July SIZZLES right along!
marsue wrote:
Ahh, Sandra, that is such a cute photo of Eli! I remember when my kids and grandkids did that. I don't have any that little any more--they are all either grown-up or growing up much too fast! Have you ever given Eli a flashlight to play with? My oldest grandson, Christopher, now 28, was fascinated with flashlights, especially when I showed him how to put his hand over the light and make his hand turn red! LOL

Elaine: sounds like a fun vacation! I've been to Holden Beach, N.C. on two occasions but never to the N.C. mountains nor to S. C.

Charlotte, I am going to try to make it to see your booths the next time I am in central AR. I'll be down there on the 23rd or 24th when I bring the g'kids back home but don't know if I will have the time to stop by the booths. It depends on whether I stay overnight and on whether or not Al is with me. He does like to "plunk around" flea markets, though, so maybe he would like to see your booths, too. :)

I wish you ladies would share some of your rain with us. We had an inch of rain the night of July 4th but nothing since. :( We water the flower beds but not the lawn. We have to be careful not to run our well dry when we are watering.

We have a HUGE Mimosa tree in our front yard and it is making a mess on our lawn and in our flower beds. The blooms are pretty on the tree but when they fall, it is making a HUGE mess. Al uses his leaf vacuum to get the blooms off the lawn but the mulch in the flower beds is covered with the dead blooms! The first photo was taken on July 3rd and shows the mess that the dead blooms make. Elaine, that is one of the penstemons you gave me behind the shasta daisy. The penstemons have already bloomed. The lilies next to the old garden gate were just beautiful this season but the blooms have all faded and dropped off now.
The second photo was taken just before sunrise on July 3rd. This is the view from our front door. You can tell how dry it has been by the color of the grass. The grass did "green-up" after our rain on the 4th but it is starting to turn brown again. The bushes on the left and the right of the moonflower plant are blueberries. They will be coming out of the flower bed this fall because they aren't very productive. We only got a couple hand fulls of berries and they weren't sweet and also had pits in the middle. This is the first year they have had berries on them but the birds got most of them. Sandra had told me to buy a rubber snake to put on top of the bushes to keep the birds away but Wal-Mart was completely out of rubber snakes when I went to buy some! LOL
P.S. the Mimosa tree is coming down this fall. :)

This message was edited Jul 12, 2013 7:00 AM

This message was edited Jul 12, 2013 7:03 AM