Photo by Melody

Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: HOUSEPLANTS OPEN DISCUSSION GROUP - JUNE 2013, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: HOUSEPLANTS OPEN DISCUSSION GROUP - JUNE 2013

Forum: Indoor Gardening and Houseplants

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of HOUSEPLANTS OPEN DISCUSSION GROUP - JUNE 2013
Gitagal wrote:
JB---Hello on this Thread!!!! I am glad you started it.
Just read through all the Posts and had some comments and some help to express...

JB and I go back a lot on the Mid Atlantic...She is one generous lady. Also knows her stuff!
On the MA--she has taught us all a lot through the threads on Holiday cactus--Christmas cactus and the
differences between the two.

Anyway-----
I was involved with a lot of jobs that had to do with Houseplants before gardening became my forte.
I look forward to discussing things to do with indoor plants as I also have about 100+that live
inside for the for the winter. My LR and DR and anywhere else there is a level surface become a Jungle...

OK! MIMI---
In your pictures--the 3rd picture is a Satin Pothos and the 4th is an old, tall
Jeanette Craig Dracena. Spider Plants are also Dracenas--and all Dracenas are sensitive
to salts in the water. The little brown tips are usually a result of this. Tap water is often to blame.
Of course--dry air and no watering can also cause these.

I have many Spiders--and to me--they are one of the easiest plants to have. The CAN go 2 weeks w/o water! They CAN be rejuvenated, when they become root-bound, by removing the root ball and slicing off
the outer rim and the base of it. Like peeling a Pineapple. Then re pot it in fresh soil mix.

The root bound Spiders will have nothing but these white "cloves" all throughout the root ball.
You won't even see any dirt. These "cloves" store water--so it can survive periods of non-watering.
Slicing off the outer part and the base of the root ball will not hurt the plant--it will pout for a while
but will recover and start growing again. This is called rejuvenating.
Be brave and just get an old kitchen knife and go at it.

As far as mealy Bugs (the hardest of all bugs to get rid of) many times they come in with the
plants from the growers--which are, usually, huge facilities in Florida.
Sanitation is hard to achieve when many of the larger plants are grown out in fields.
Oh--they clean them up and spray them before they are shipped--but MB just hide in every little crevice
and come back out when they grow up. They ARE--a pain in the A.......!

I would, seriously, treat any new plant you have purchased for bugs before you put it among other plants.
Systemics work good as they are long lasting. It is aimed at sucking insects, who will die
after sucking up any juices that have become toxic from a treated plant.

torriemom---
I have had a Beefsteak begonia for eons. I keep propagating it, same as my old Angel Wing Begonia.
It is an attractive plant. I keep ALL my plants outside all summer--except my African Violets.
All you need to watch for is their light requirements. They LOVE the fresh air and the humidity!

Momlady--

I have had a Ric-Rac cactus since 2005. You will NOT believe how huge it can grow!!!
When you need to pot it in a HB--make sure it is at least A 10" one and that it has WIRE hangers.
Re potting this monster is NOT easy--so start in a pot with lots of room.
Any pieces of these can be very easily rooted. Just stick them in a pot of soil and wait.
Mine has only bloomed once--in 2006 . Don't really know what the secret is......
I also have 2 red Epis--and they are blooming right now.
They all belong to the Orchid Cactus Family.

--This is my Ric Rac in Nov. 2010. It is bigger now! It is also VERY heavy!
--This is the only bloom it has ever produced--in 2006.
--This is a picture of it hanging outside last summer...2012

Will be checking back on here.....Love this Thread.....Gita