Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - July 2013, 1 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - July 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - July 2013
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

It’s blowing its ring off here today and it’s raining avocados and lemons in our back yard once again LOL. It’s starting to feel like a fruit market in our house with baskets and bowls overflowing with them, I will have to take some into work tomorrow so nothing goes to waste. Rain clouds are threatening but with all this wind it will probably just blow over.

Hi Cody CONGRATULATIONS on the purchase of your first bromeliad that appears to be a pretty Guzmania of some sort? I have only a couple of Guzmania’s in the nursery and one under our mango tree that appear to be doing well. Cody how exciting too that it has 3 x pups already, let us know if you need advice down the track on how to separate pups, or you may want to grow them as a group where the pups suckle off the mother until she dies and the process continues same with the pups, they grow on and then have pups of their own etc.

Hi Tash like you I adore this time of year for my broms as it’s nice not having to cover them up all the time like we do in summer. Pretty much all of my Neo’s are out in the garden and they appear happy there as they get great light and ventilation. But come summer my shade screens need to go back up to protect them which is fine but I dislike having this obstruction when trying to look at them or move them around but at least they are protected from the harsh elements which is what matters most keeping them looking well and undamaged.

Tash nice pic of your brom Vriecantarea, how big does this one grow?

Hi Nev happy to hear you are having a fantastic time with your family and your grandsons. It’s amazing how daring they get on those scooters and the wonderful tricks they master on them.

Nev fantastic brom pics you posted from other growers, one would be proud to have any of these in their collection, I know I would as they are so beautiful.

Nev I will post a pic of Neo’ ‘Lime & Lava’ to compare with Shirley’s and anyone else who has one. Mine is a much darker colour than Shirley’s one where mine is more of a grape colour. Nev just saw the pic of your ‘Lime & Lava’ which is closer in colour to mine than Shirley’s is.

Hi Shirley great pics of lovely looking broms with wonderful colour, I found Pic 2 of Neo’ ‘JP108’ most interesting of all as I have not seen this one before and it’s just that little bit different with its markings. Best pic of all though had to be Pic 5 of Rebel fast asleep exhausted with his paw over his nose, too cute LOL.

Hi Sue thanks glad to be back, really missed chatting with you guys. Lovely brom pics Sue, your Pic 1 Neo’ NOID turning from pink to white really reminds me of the Marble type broms. I will attach pics of my Neo’ ‘White Marble’ and Neo’ ‘Marble Mauve’ to show similarities if this helps any? Good luck with finding its true name as it’s a beautiful brom.

Hi Jean sounds absolutely freezing your way, take care and keep warm and try to refrain from ice skating on any of the frozen ponds in your garden brrrrrr he he. If I lived where you are I would be hopeless as I would want to bring all my brom collection indoors to protect them over winter and Joe would need a heated area for his orchids.

Hi Theresa great to hear from you, I am getting goose bumps all over from hearing how cold it is for you and Jean. Take care and stay warm - Brrrrrr.

Hi Bree your ‘Lime & Lava’ is pretty much like mine I think, I will try and find pic to attach for everyone to see.

Take Care and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 (for Sue) Neo’ ‘White Marble’
Pic 2 (for Sue) Neo’ ‘Marble Mauve’
Pic 3 (for comparison with Shirley, Nev’s and Bree’s) of Neo’ ‘Lime & Lava’ when it was a pup. I can’t seem to find the new pic I took of it at maturity so will try to remember to take a fresh pic tomorrow when I get home from work.
Pic 4 is a pic of a beautiful Fire Place we had in one of the retreats we stayed at in the Tablelands for those feeling the cold