Photo by Melody

Florida Gardening: Miniature gardens, trees, and landscapes in Florida..., 1 by DavidofDeLand

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DavidofDeLand

In reply to: Miniature gardens, trees, and landscapes in Florida...

Forum: Florida Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Miniature gardens, trees, and landscapes in Florida...
DavidofDeLand wrote:
Even as a small child one of my favorite pastimes was building little towns in the sand with little roads and bridges, parking lots and such for my collection of toy cars to drive on. Miniature cars were hands-down without any doubts, and clearly my toy of choice. Of course then "Erector sets" and "Lincoln Logs" were second though, because I could build little buildings for my towns!...

Anyway, I'm old and still doing it!

I know, I know,...........Silly isn't it?! The only difference is now that I'm older and combine it with living plants its even more fun!

Since I started this thread, I guess I should keep it moving... I know some of you have already seen some of the pictures I will share here, but I know some have not, so I think I'll share some of my older and beginning Miniature Gardens here in DeLand first, and then move through the evolvements of them...

Thank you.
This was my first DeLand Miniature Garden built in a raised side of wooden box planter raised on legs to waist level. The actual area measured 3'x3'.

After a visit to a Hobby Store and finding this irresistable little Train Set 'Shanty Camp' set of 4 buildings (including the outhouse!) on super sale for only 5 bucks, I had to have them! I then went Moss collecting over at Mom and Dads and with some old aged fallen cypress wood, driftwood, and a bag of course sand to cover the potting soil for pathways I had my first Miniature Landscape. The Ming Fern showing in the background creates the effect of tiny Pine Trees, and Mexican Heather creates a tiny Rhododendron/Azalea look. The Blue Eyed Grass could be a stand of Sugarcane!

It has the feel of a Shanty camp in the foothills somewhere. I can almost smell the woodfire in the crisp air..., and the seashell mound is representative of an ancient Native American Indian mound on the 'property'...

HaHaHa!

David

(The dinosaurs already started making their appearance here then)