Irises: Dividing Irises - Basic Questions, 1 by cathy166

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cathy166

In reply to: Dividing Irises - Basic Questions

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Dividing Irises - Basic Questions
cathy166 wrote:
Pete, I think that unless you are in a special microclimate, you're in zone 6b, which should not make much difference for irises, but might for some others.

I otherwise don't get too technical. When we moved into this house, the former owner had a few irises planted in a somewhat sunny area fairly close to the garage, but they never did anything for the first couple of years but grow a bit of foliage. About three years ago I dug them up and moved them into another garden and figured if they did nothing there, they were at least closer to the trash. They lived through the first summer after the transplant and have done nothing but multiply ever since. They are quite tall, so the big thing for me is to find trellises that support without damaging. There were probably half a dozen to begin with and this spring there were at least 20 stems and most had 5 blooms per stem. The second photo is from May of 2012. The third photo is from 2011. Apparently they just like it there. Getting to feel a bit like the sorcerer's apprentice with these. Almost as bad as the Siberians and their "crop circles." And they are in the shade.

In my opinion, anything that grows good weeds can grow good flowers.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2013 1:32 AM