Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16, 1 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16
Amargia wrote:
Does your DH fear you will run over other shoppers by accident or that you will experience the electric shopping cart equivalent of road rage and go on a rampage? lol. My knees are getting so bad Jim and I need a tandem electric shopping cart. I use the handles of his w/c almost like a walker. Jim is propelling and navigating himself, but it freaks other shoppers out because it looks like he is being push around by a blind woman.
Thanks for the reminder, Paul. I want to get some Malibar spinach seeds. (Hope it isn't too late in the season.) I am trying some purslane for summer greens this year also. Until someone on the Florida Gardening forum set me straight earlier this year, I thought Malibar spinach and New Zealand spinach were different common names for the same plant. I've grown and eaten New Zealand spinach.,but, I would only rank it half a step above survival food. It wasn't too bad libally spiced with soul seasoning and pepper sauce. Jim refused to try it cooked after sampling it in the garden raw. I still have NZ spinach in the garden because it grows well in damp conditions and looks good trailing over a retaining wall.
I'm not big on cilantro either, Carrie. It has a soapy flavor to me. DD#1loves the stuff though. She jokes that someone must have made a mistake in the maternity ward. Supposedly, only a genetic minority detect a soapy taste in cilantro. The weeds are really getting ahead of us. .working outside is wicked with temps in the upper 90's and humidity at 65%. It really is a jungle out there.
I harvested zucchini and yellow crook neck squash from the CanDo Garden yesterday. I turned the zucchini into bread. I used almost half the amount of sugar the recipe called for and used half whole wheat flour in place of white flour. It was a pleasant surprise when it still went over well with the others.
Photo #1: These flowers are getting comments, but I'm not sure what they are. DD#1 planted the seeds while she wasn't kicking in on all four cylinders so she can't remember what she planted. (lol. Only at Amargia.) The plants feel like okra plants. Okra is actually in the hibiscus family and the flowers are very pretty. We will watch and learn.
Photo #2: Shamrock flowers? I've never paid much attention to the shamrocks after St. Patrick's Day.