Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013
weed_woman wrote:
hi all, another beautiful day, considering the forecast was rather glum. I even bathed the dogs!
Nev, I have cleaned up most of the mess, and as the wind is over, have stood the broms back up, but alot have damaged leaves and flower spikes, so I will get in and sort them at a later date. Yes, the igloo did get damaged. the wind has blown so hard from one side, that the 63mm polypipe has actually folded at the top of its side supports and is now on a lean. It can't go anywhere, as the palm tree is holding it up, But I have had to take down all the hangers and will have to cut the pipe at the fold, and make the whole structure shorter. Then we will look at making some support poles in the middle to keep it rigid in high winds. It really was like a cyclone at the time, although I haven't been in a 'rated' cyclone, I'm sure it wasn't much different.
N. 'Shep' is a small grower I believe, and another seller hd a mature photo as their gallery photo, and it looks as though it might flush a deep red, while the outer leaves stay yellow? Not sure yet, but I love the shape and form, and was thrilled when I received it, as the discription was 'One nice pup' and you never know what you'll get, but 'one nice pup' it was.
Gee, I wished I had seen the orchid plant with all the flower heads. I had seen one like mine at a show a few years back, so when I saw the tiny plant, in its blister pack, in Bunnings, I thought I'd give it a go, for $6.95. It flowered the first year, so it doesn't seem to be too finicky. Maybe I can get it to a great size with multiple flower heads too. Something to aim for!
Trish, I love your Vandas. I have one tht is flowering now, and a very small one that is just struggling for the last couple of years, but might get better as it gets some size to it. The dendrobiums seem to be the better growers here. Have you ever propagated Vandas, and if so, how is it done?
Shirley, your parcel is on the way, so hopefully you will have it by wednesday. I posted all the Ebay plants away too, and hope all the buyers are as thrilled with theirs, as I was with N. 'Shep'.
If thats an Ananas in your last pic, it looks very spikey! I think the ones i have a smooth. I will have to check now. I like your Aechmea 'Robert Siedelii' It has lovely colour.
Those Cordylines are just the common rubra ones, but they do look nice at this time of the year. When we went to Fiji last year, they were everywhere, along with those gorgeous gingers like Trish's. I love those kind of plantings.
Ian, off to Blooming Broms. You will no doubt see some friends of friends while up there. now I wish i was going. It would be lovely up there at this time of the year. Are you flying or driving? If Flying, and you make some purchases, its always good to remember you can post them back to yourself!

This is Aechmea 'Silver Streak' in flower this morning
Sue