Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013, 1 by springer99

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright springer99

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013
springer99 wrote:
Wow, so much to catch up on and my fingers I just realised are so sore for typing. We have been re-mulching gardens since Friday mid afternoon, my arms are carved up from broms, did the long socks on my arms yesterday which helped, and my fingers are just so sore from digging in mulch etc (couldn't find gloves and just needed to keep working).
The Front garden is looking a bit bare as I haven't finished putting a few more broms in there (as we took a few older daggy ones out) but the one near the brom house, we think is now looking great. I have wanted to do a bit of a feature Tiger garden... yes Nev... still into my toothy ones, lol....but haven't been able too. I would like it to be a garden on it's own, but that's impossible here, we are limited with it not being our house. So I used part of this garden to put some of my tiger types in. I still have heaps more, but didn't want to put them all in the one place... not putting all my eggs in the one basket you might say. So some are in the brom houses still. I will add some photos at the end.
Everyone has such beautiful photos!!
Shirley one I picked up on.... your Quesnelia Edmundoi Rubra, that might be Quesnelia edmundoi Var. rubrobracteata. Someone may have shortened the name on you. Ours got burnt in Summer when it came to us from a southern ebay seller and isn't doing so well, but gee I have seen some real stunners!!! Will take loads of light and morning sun.I am still in envy of the ones I have seen.... mine has a long was to go, lol.
Wow what a cool way to get the Alc hair pups Nev, yes we do take ours very small too, but wouldn't dream of posting them off, when taken so small I find they take a while to get moving, so I often leave them in the cup of an old flowered neo mum and although they don't seem to grow much while in there, they grow heaps of roots, so then once potted up and fertilised, they then take off. The theory being the sooner you take them off the more you will get and as you know with some Alc's they only way to get pups is through hair pups when they are young, as once they are too big... no more pups. And for me, mine seem to hair pup really well when they are quite young.
Ian you are coming up to Cairns, morning are chilly here this weekend, but nothing compared to down south, and the days are glorious, I got quite sunburnt yesterday actually. I hope it is a pleasure trip.
Sue I hope you are surviving the bad weather, and no broms get damaged and watch out for branches above you!
Wendy, enjoy your time away and I hope you find a nice quiet place to set up.
I'm sorry I know I'm missing commenting on everyone beautiful photos, they are all so nice... my fingers are sore and I am now two finger typing....wow that is slow... I totally sympathise with anyone who can't touch type and how much time it must take to type a message.
So I'll add some pics and get going
Things never appear in the order I load them... so I'll just adjust....
The first three are the garden, now freshened up with new mulch and all the daggies taken out etc. The last pic, which I had to delete and re add as it appeared in the middle of the others first try, is Neo Moon Over Fort Dix in among Neo Skotak's Tiger babies.