Canadian Gardening: What's up in the garden?, 5 by June_Ontario

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright June_Ontario

In reply to: What's up in the garden?

Forum: Canadian Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What's up in the garden?
June_Ontario wrote:
Nature is working hard to catch up after the cold spell. A cloud of blackflies trailed around the garden after me as I looked for subjects to photograph this afternoon. Whoever invented the head-net, thank you! (I'm assuming it was invented by a man, as it looks so awful to wear, but it sure saves me from being eaten alive.) Today's pics are:

An unnamed purple-leaved cherry bush, planted by the former owners of the garden.

Globularia trichosantha, growing in gravel in the rock-garden. This will seed itself quite freely, but is easy to pull up if not wanted.

Veronica peduncularis 'Georgia Blue', possibly. Some plants I bought under this name are compact and some are mat-forming, and I don't know which are the true 'Georgia Blue' and which are seed-grown plants. Or maybe the label got switched at the garden centre. They're all pretty anyway.

Violets. I planted purple-leaved Viola labradorica, but they've hybridized with some green-leaved violets that the previous owner planted, and a small white violet that grows wild in the lawn.

Euphorbia polychroma 'Bonfire'. Very hardy, a show-stopper when in bloom, and I find the dusky foliage makes a good contrast with silver- or grey-leaved plants.