Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013, 5 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi all – Nothing much to report today except not much has been happening around here to write about so I thought I'd give the rest of you a chance.

Trish – It's good to see you putting name tags on the seedlings; unfortunately some people try and commit the names to memory and you know what happens when we do that, we just create a heap more NOIDS. When you have a group of seedlings with the same “formula name” it's also a good idea to add a different number and code to each label so that it gives them all their individual identity. If for example you have say five with the same formula name the number and code in your case could be 001TG, 002TG etc. with the letters being your own initials. By using a number with your own initials this avoids confusion with other growers with the same cross who are just using numbers. It's not compulsory but it could save problems down the track when the plants are mature and you start removing pups.

You say, “I was excited to find that some of my Neo .seeds have germinated”, I know exactly how you feel but it's even better when the first one reaches maturity and flowers; even if it's pretty ordinary it's still special as it's the first and you created it

Ian – If you want to swap a plant of your Bill. 'Theodore' let me know what you would like in return. Sorry I can't help you with Billbergia X windii as I don't have it in my collection.

You got a good germination rate with the Aechmea Bromeliifolia albobracteata seed but they look a bit on the “spindly” side, maybe they are looking for more light.

Breeindy – I'm not currently chasing any of the plants you have listed but I'm sure someone will want to swap with you.

Shirley – I have to agree with you about Neo. 'Gunpowder' and Neo. 'Gunpowder Too', in my opinion Neo. 'Gunpowder Too' has much more colour even though they're both from Chester Skotak and from the same parents, but having said that, they're both worth having in a collection.

It seems to me that DG has switched your pic's and put Neo. 'Leopard Ray' in as pic.2. I can't help you with a name for your Canistrum but if you look through the FCBS Photo Index you may find it and there's not too many to sift through.

Sue – In regard to the black shade cloth, I previously had it on the roof of my original shade house before I changed to beige, but I did find the plants grew better beneath it than they do under the green, just thought I'd pass that on.

That's it, I've run out of time and the pic's today are Pic.1 Neo.'Serendipity Girl'. Pic.2 Neo.('Painted Lady' [Sport] x Self), Pic.3 Neo.'Mulford Foster Hybrid' (unreg.), Pic.4 Neo.'Orange Glow' and Pic.5 Neo.'Painted Lady' (Sport) x 'Grace'.

All the best, Nev.