Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013, 5 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone (and those who don't post any more) - It's getting quiet on here again so let's hear from you all just to make sure you're OK if nothing else – please don't let this friendly little forum die.

Ian – We must have both hit the send button at exactly the same time yesterday as I didn't see your post and I didn't get a message to say someone else had posted either.

I'm not sure about your NOID; it certainly looks to have Ae. Orlandiana or Ae. Bert in it but judging by the “droopy” foliage I would say it's a hybrid. The droopy leaves and absence of strong upper leaf markings may be a result of being grown in low light or possibly a hereditary thing. I know Ae. Orlandiana has been used quite a bit in breeding and there are about 35 crossings registered on the BCR and probably more that aren't listed. As now is the right time of the year to move plants to an area of higher light, I'd try growing it in bright light to see how it responds.

Neo. 'Small World' is a great little plant and it's the compact nicely shaped growth that makes it so special. It's a Grace Goode hybrid bred from Neo. 'Maid of Honour' as the seed parent with no pollen parent is listed. There were about ten or so registered from this cross with the majority being of the same small size and having nice conformity. I have found to maintain is small size it's best to confine it to a small pot. I have seen examples grown in larger pots and fertilised heavily which just resulted in a larger plant with strappy leaves. To see other from this same cross go to: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?fields=Parents&id=...

Sue – I'm amazed when you say that the igloo is full of Tilly's on the inside as well, as I thought with that many outside there wouldn't be sufficient light inside. But wow, what a selection, where would you start looking?

Just seeing you standing there with the bag over your shoulder reminds me of an incident which occurred during one of my sales a few years back. I usually only invite members of our brom club and people I know or who are recommended, but this particular day a woman somehow got in with a group of people and as it turned out later she was an imposter as no one knew her.

She was just casually walking around as though she was part of the group of growers looking at the plants. When they went into the shade house where there are a few Till's that have been given to me by friends and which I don't sell, she went in also and when they all came out I saw her hang back and she sneaked a quick look around before slipping a couple of Till's into her bag.

She didn't see me as I was on the other side of the shade cloth wall and she didn't know I was there. Anyway she then went out of the shade house, picked up a small $5 plant from the “specials table” and went to my daughter to pay. As my daughter asked for the $5 for the plant, I added, “plus $15 each for the two Tillandsias”. The woman went a very deep shade of red and after saying she didn't realise they were so expensive, took them out of her bag and put them on the table and started to leave. Another lady who had seen what happened said, “that will teach you” as she left and we never saw her again. If she had asked, I would have given her a pup or two from the plants she tried to steal, but the best part is, that she left the plant she had paid the $5 for in her haste to leave.

I didn't know Harley's made a bike for girls, chalk up one for "Girl Power"; anyway it really suits you and I hope you get tons of fun from riding it.

What's the connection with the Ae recurvata in Pic.3, is it just there as a size comparison for photographers? I like your Tilly necklace also, but you could have at least taken off the “sunnies” for the pic, as you look like you're incognito.

Shirley – Thanks for starting a new web, it seems like you have now got a permanent job each month.

Is the Vriesea one of Jack's hybrids? I know Vr. 'Milky Way' was one of his and was just wondering if he's now using it as a parent also.

I'll finish with a few pic's, firstly the location of the unexpected flowering Aechmea which I spoke of yesterday. As I said it was on a bench behind some hanging Neo's and Aechmeas and Pic.1 shows what I saw as I looked at the Neo's. If you look closely to the right of the middle Neo. you can just make out a touch of a bluish colour. Pic.2 shows what I saw when I removed the Neo's for a closer look, here you can see it between plants four and five on the top row. Pic.3 shows it more clearly after the Ae. orlandianas were removed and Pic.4 shows it a bit closer up. Does anyone here have an idea of what it is? My guess is as I said Ae. 'Shelldancer'. Pic.5 is Neo.‘DeRolf’.

All the best, Nev.