Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: New To Irises, 1 by speediebean

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright speediebean

Subject: New To Irises

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of New To Irises
speediebean wrote:
Good morning! =)

I figured this would be the best place to pose my questions; you see, I'm totally new to Iris growing, but I seem to have fallen into it sort of accidentally. This past Friday at work I was helping a lovely couple buy some trees, and in the conversation they mentioned that they had a TON of Irises growing in an area where they wanted to plant the trees, so they were gonna dig out all the Irises and just toss them. ACK!! ... Well, I couldn't help myself, it just sort of exploded out of my mouth without my actually thinking about it.. "I'll take 'em, give 'em to me!!". Yipes, what did I just say!?!?! The husband was pleasantly surprised and asked if I were working the next day (Saturday). Yessir, I sure am. Well, lo and behold, he showed up mid morning on Saturday, and 5 minutes later half the bed of my truck was FILLED with Iris plants and tubers. All I know about them is that they bloom yellow. At least, that's what the Husband told me. I'm not sure if they've bloomed yet this Spring, but a few of them do have buds on them. The plants that are... well... "plants" (and not just tubers) are about 1.5-2 feet tall. I installed them (yes, all of them) yesterday morning, thinking that a cool cloudy day would be the best time to do it. Their roots are well covered in loamy/composty soil, but the tuber parts are just scantily covered, with bits of bare spots here and there on each to allow for air circulation. I watered them in well... oh, and they are under an over-hang, by the way. They are in a North-Western facing location, so will get sun from early afternoon onward until sundown. They are very near the foundation of the house, against white-painted cinder-block.
Now, they are (or at least were last evening) rather floppy... Is that normal? Should I expect them to "stand back up" again this season? Did I install them correctly? Anything else I should know to do? I really want these guys to thrive 'cause I've wanted some Irises for years, but never had the money to invest in large quantities, which I feel is the "right-looking" way to grow them. ;)

Any help or tips or anything would be HUGELY appreciated, thanks guys (and gals)! < =D

P.S. This pic is just the tip of the iceberg, HA! =)