Photo by Melody

Coleus: Are my coleus seedlings ready to be transplanted yet?, 1 by look_alive

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright look_alive

Subject: Are my coleus seedlings ready to be transplanted yet?

Forum: Coleus

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Are my coleus seedlings ready to be transplanted yet?
look_alive wrote:
I germinated several different coleus varieties a little over a month ago (March 10th) and here they are today (pics attached). They seem a little leggy, but I at least managed not to kill them from damping off, like so many of my others over the years. I rotate the trays daily so they don't lean to one side toward the window. (I wish I had a better light source.)

I'm wondering if these are too small to begin transplanting? Or have i waited too long? I don't want to wait until the roots are so tangled that I kill them, but I also don't want to disturb them prematurely. I'm thinking about going from these into trays of 12. Once they get a little larger, I'll harden them off and they'll go outside. I wish I had started a few months earlier than I did... had no idea it would take this long to get seeds going. Luckily, where I live coleus will thrive outside well into November, so I will hopefully get to enjoy them for a decent amount of time.

So, what should I do? Pot 'em up now, or just let 'em hang out for a little longer?