Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013
weed_woman wrote:
Morning, a quick one from me too as I have to dash.
2 hours listing on Ebay last night! I hope it will be worth it. I dread doing the packaging, as there goes a few more hours. (note to oneself-get more sticky tape)
Ian, it sounds as though you have the sellers worked out. There are only a couple of brom sellers here, and we have about 4-5 markets in the area, over the month, so they get around. Some have grown the stuff themselves, and do quite well, and others just get seconds from one of the local wholesale nurseries, which I think is cheating. I've also noticed the occasional brom from elsewhere, and I suspect the seller travels on occasion to somewhere near wholesale bromeliads of Australia. Anyway, there is not much there that lights my eyes up.
Trish, re your and Shirleys discussion on car and sleeping. I get so tired, but cannot drift off, even if I take the travel, neck pillow. If we take a wagon I can lay down in the back and snooze, but not sitting up. Same goes for the couch, I can only sleep laying down. I feel nauseous if I read while travelling, but maps are no problem, and I have a good sense of direction when in the country, but cities with tall buildings and no features usually stump me, like Sydney.
Hopefully everyones plants will arrive by the end of the week. I bought a couple of Cryptanthus off ebay last week, and they were marked as posted on monday and arrived yesterday. They only had to come from 2 hours south, but usually they go to Sydney first then back up, so maybe they have a localish mail system? Anyway, two gorgeous little crypts (which are not my favourites unless well coloured and marked).
Shirley, we got a storm yesterday afternoon, early evening so I was stoked I got the yard work done. The rain washed away a bit of the mud ffrom my bogged incident! Sorry you didn't have much luck with the weather. Maybe today?
My back is hereditary and postural, so am working on retraining my brain. good luck with that!
Nev, I would have been puffed after 3 flights of stairs, probably just going down! I hope all goes well today, and imagine the broms are taking a back seat! I hope they don't get on top of you while you are being nurse Nev! Wished I lived closer to give you a hand.
photo time
photo one is an island bed which I have dropped pots of Neos in amongst the mondo. I can de-pup them, or not, when the urge takes.
photo two is where the new igloo will go. The bonfire will be lit this weekend, weather prmitting, and you can see the compost pile to the right of the picture. I didn't do my three barrows yeterday, but might get some time this arvy?
Photo three is Neo. 'Moby Dick' still a baby, but doing well in almost full sun.
Photo four is Aechmea 'Bert' in flower
Photo five is a plant from leisa, labelled 'Ganesh Gold' It was a novar, but threw a few varegated pups, one of which went to Colleen also. I have some novars in the garden, but am keeping this one in the brom house to see if I can encourage the variegation when pups start. (removing novar pups)
thats all folks
Sue