Florida Gardening: Raised Beds, 3 by wren107

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright wren107

Subject: Raised Beds

Forum: Florida Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Raised Beds
wren107 wrote:
I have been planning for months to put raised beds in a problem area. There are a lot of roots in this area so it would be very hard to make regular flower bed.
First the lay out.
The area we will be working in is the north side of our yard and will be the front half of this area, there is a fence that divides the side yard roughly in half..
In this first picture you will see the front part of this area. The tree on the left is the problem. My dad did remove many of the large surface roots years ago. It is a water oak and will probable start dieing in a few years as unlike the live oak it has a shorter life about 50 to 60 years and it is over 50 years old now.
this area is roughly 45 feet deep. the thing with the silver top and sides is my seed hardening off shelves that I make with PVC pipe is at half way point of this area but will be removed to the back yard soon. The front fence line is roughly 27 feet but part of this is taken up with my Beauty Berry bush.

The second picture is the bird feeding area, there will be a raised bed along the 2 fence lines. The vine on the side fence is my giant dutchman's pipe vine, it is in a large pot and is very happy. Was very little damage to it this winter

the first part of the plan is to place raised beds in a large "E" formation. Then place smaller beds in the lower halves oped square.

The third picture shows what 100 landscape timbers look like. you can also see the beauty berry bush to the right. It was growing in a large pot but my yard guys cut the pot away, dug a hole under it and lowered it down and cut it back hard. It is leafing out now.