Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: When do you plant tomato seeds?, 1 by NisiNJ

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright NisiNJ

In reply to: When do you plant tomato seeds?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of When do you plant tomato seeds?
NisiNJ wrote:
In the past I have started them in stages, starting in late March and going to April 1. The best looking specimens were the ones started April 1. My zone is 7A also.

Have you considered trying winter sowing a few tomato plants? (See the sticky at the top of the Winter Sowing forum.) Last year I put outside some containers of tomato seeds in early March. They germinated at the beginning of April and remained very stocky because the outdoor light is so bright. I transplanted them into individual pots the last week in April and they were incredibly sturdy, stocky plants ready to go into the ground in mid May. There were two other benefits: 1) it freed up some space under my indoor lights for other things and 2) there was no "hardening off" necessary. These are some WS containers on my steps. I use Denny's take out containers because the bottom is a styrofoam-like substance that is easily punched for drainage, and the top is a clear plastic pre-punched dome. Also, I love those Grand Slams.