Florida Gardening: My first raised bed garden for vegtables, 5 by jamibad

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jamibad

In reply to: My first raised bed garden for vegtables

Forum: Florida Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of My first raised bed garden for vegtables
jamibad wrote:
Qwilter, I did just that this morning, up ended all my empty pots, and have them sitting besides the plant there going over tonight. Freeze, are you kidding me. I feel like I've been there done that, too many time's. It's getting old now, I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I moved as much stuff into the green house as I could, and than rounded up all the sheets, curtains, plastic I have and am ready to start covering everything around 5-6 tonight. Keep what ever warmth there is, in the ground. I spent 2 hours outside this morning, uncovering things I had covered last night, and now with the freeze we're going to get, a step further was taken, getting everything moved back to the green house.( I have a little red wagon for hauling stuff around the yard ) and I'm so thankful my DH built it for me, and as quick as he did. I have extra room in the shed, but didn't need to put anything in there. Maybe my palms I have in pots will get moved in, as I have 2 on my back lanai. There so big and hard to move, I was going to put them in the ground, now I'm glad I didn't, I can just move them inside.
So what else is everyone doing to protect their gardens ? Next year I'm going to have DH mount some thin pvc poles over the raised gardens, I saw this at Lowes when I was there last, than I can put the frost sheets over the pvc and create a warm place for my plants. Plus if I need to give my plants some shade I'll already have the poles in place.

Anyway, everyone have a great day, try to stay warm, and keep those plants safe! Jami