Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: I'm getting so annoyed!, 1 by ceceoh

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ceceoh

Subject: I'm getting so annoyed!

Forum: Indoor Gardening and Houseplants

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I'm getting so annoyed!
ceceoh wrote:
I'm just now starting to venture into buying houseplants - since I have finally stopped smoking and have a house with some decent lighting - but I'm getting very annoyed at the way plants are sold.

For instance: I just found a lovely little plant. OK, so I bought it at the grocery store, and I'm sure you're all saying "that was your first mistake!" - but it was so cute! Anyway, the tag said that it was a "Pin Cushion", and while it seemed to give decent enough instruction on how to care for the plant, there was no clue about what the plant really was. By that I mean no mention of a botanical name. Just "Pin Cushion".

I've run into this same problem at nursery centers. The pot will just say "foliage plant", or in the case of one fern I bought, it was called a "tongue fern", but it looked nothing like any of the tongue ferns I could find on the Internet, and of course, once again there was no botanical name listed on the tag.

Anyway, going back to the "Pin Cushion": here is a picture of the plant that I took off the Nurserymen's Exchange web site, which is the company that sells these things. Anybody out there have a clue about what this plant is? The orange bulbs are like berries, and the foliage reminds me of a moss.