Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Perennials: 2013, 1 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: 2013

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of 2013
DonnaMack wrote:
Oh yes. On other forums here they mention the prevalence of rose rosette disease. I think that PART of the problem is that they are sold in masses to garden centers, and show up by the dozens on corporate sites, so the mites can hop from one to another and party like drunken sailors. I despair because I grow mostly old garden roses, some as old as 1832. Some of them are becoming unavailable, or are sold by one vendor. I used to be able to find the old roses in garden centers. Now they have mostly hybrid teas (aka blackspot on a stick). I have roses I have never seen in anyone's yard. Why grow KO's when you can grow a rose hybridized in 1832 and named for the hybridizers beloved wife (Madame Hardy, pictured below?) It even takes some shade. It's completely disease resistant. OK, it only blooms once, but for almost two months. Did I mention the intoxicating scent?

I love to have some of everything. Why not? Roses, grasses, peonies, ornamental trees, bulbs, some native, some from around the world. Suitability of soil and climate is important.

My additions now tend to be shade loving or tolerant plants, and it opens another world.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2013 4:01 PM