Florida Gardening: My first raised bed garden for vegtables, 1 by jamibad

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jamibad

In reply to: My first raised bed garden for vegtables

Forum: Florida Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of My first raised bed garden for vegtables
jamibad wrote:
These pictures show the second fenced in garden, This is where I'll put most of the corn, more cucumbers, beans, and watermelon, down toward the back I'll put cantaloup, and if you can see towards the back of the fenced in area, that's where our compost pile is, I'd say it's at least 6' x 6' x 3' high, and it's getting pretty rich, just not as fast as I need it, as I'm still buying compost! Maybe I started out to big, but I have plenty here on the property to compost, and I haven't really studied up that much on compost, it's just really hard to turn, water and keep it with in the temperature it need's to be, to compost down to usable good smelling dirt:) Anyone have any idea's? I have read up on how to compost, I bought a container, nice looking, to sit on my counter, to collect coffee grounds, egg shells, tea bags, and any other items that make great compost, but when you follow the rule's, it can get to big to turn, as in all materials that can be used as compost, so I have slowed down, just filling the recycle containers we sit out for the garbage guys each week :(, I want to keep the stuff for my own use, but just don't have the time or man power to generate all we have into compost, isn't it amazing, what we throw away everyday? I wouldn't have to buy compost!!!! Ok, It's time to get to bed, I'm tired, but am ready for my new day in the garden, Always looking forward to it, I think I dream it, weird but true!

BTW, just some happy things: My DH shops for groceries, He takes care of our 3 children, a chiwawa(?sp) and 2 shih tzus, He goes to the doggy park everyday with them, NO, he doesn't do laundry, I Do, We both cook, We both clean the house, But he is a gentleman, and is always wanting to help me in the garden's, I just use the gardens as my therapy, I have degenerative bone disease, I have a plate in my cervical spine C-3 through C-7, and my lower back is going the same route, my hands look like a person who is in their 70"s, BUT, I'm loving life, and as long as I can do this, I'm going to do this, I just love playing in the dirt!
God Bless!!