Accessible Gardening: Walkway for flower bed weeding, 1 by jssmeltzer

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jssmeltzer

Subject: Walkway for flower bed weeding

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Walkway for flower bed weeding
jssmeltzer wrote:
I am new to gardening and to this site. I did try to search on this topic before starting a new thread but it was hard to sort through so much information to find anything relevant to this particular question.

I have a flower bed in front of my house that is deep- meaning in order to weed it, I have to walk into the flower bed and sometimes sit in the middle of it. I can't reach it all from the external perimeter. I find lots of articles and ideas on garden walkways and such but I'm looking for ideas on how to put in some simple walking paths inside a flower bed for the purpose of me navigating around within it to weed and care for it.

Has anyone done something like this or have any suggestions? I hate to trample all over plants that may not have come up yet and so on...

Also- I have a hard time with my knees so I often have to sit down and stretch my legs out to weed or whatever. I thought of those rolling carts that mechanics use to get under cars to do their work. Has anyone done something similar but not on wheels- just some sort of platform that could be extended over areas of a garden to either lay down or sit on to reach into the garden and work that way? I think it would be a great idea. I'm always laying down towels to lay down in order to stretch enough, etc.

Anyway- those are my challenges, any ideas?

Thanks in advance...