Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Can Viburnum plicatum Mary Milton live in Zone 7B? , 1 by JudAnn

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright JudAnn

Subject: Can Viburnum plicatum Mary Milton live in Zone 7B?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Can Viburnum plicatum Mary Milton live in Zone 7B?
JudAnn wrote:
It is necessary to read the spec's on a plant before buying it. I know this and yet somehow missed it when I ordered this Mary Milton. I was in the process of ordering a number of shrubs for a major "re-do" of the yard this spring. I did all the research on planting requirements, sun, water, growth habit, size and zone. At the last minute I ran across this picture of Mary Milton and tacked it onto my order.
Received the order yesterday and starting making final decisions on placement and realized MM is Zone 5 and I'm in zone 7B (SC just south of Charlotte NC). For zone 5 she wants full sun to part shade.
I would appreciate any advice on where to plant it and what are the chances of it flourishing in zone 7B.
Should I look for a space that is east facing with morning sun, or a total shade spot or what? Would it be better to keep her in a container on the porch? I have a few choices here and could provide different light requirements in different spots. Last question, is my worry the summer heat and hot sun, or the winter temperatures or something else completely?
For now, she's getting potted up and will live on the screen patio until I figure out what to do.
Thanks so much for any advise. I really appreciate your help.