Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts, March 2013, 5 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts, March 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts, March 2013
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone- it's good to see a few posts to read once again, keep 'em coming.

Breeindy – You say your Neo 'Gold Medal' has had too much rain and sun and doesn't look good, I still think the colours look great and I'd certainly give it a home.

Trish – Your dinner with nature sounds great I wish I had been there to enjoy it with you.
I'll check the name on the plant in Pic.4 (top left side) you enquired about and post the answer tomorrow.

They're great pic's you've posted; the Neo 'Jolly Roger' is a great looking dark coloured contrasting plant, I hadn't seen that one before. I looked it up and find it is from the breeding stable of Vic Przetocki in Western Australia and is from Neo.'Takemura Grande' x Neo. 'Happy Thoughts'; and your little Neo 'Shamrock' is just beautiful, could you please put my name on your list for a pup when one's available. By the way, thanks for the feedback on the Neo. 'Two Tone', it’s a most unusual coloured brom and could you put me down for a pup of that also when available please?

What can I say about your two little girls? What great looking little mates they seem and they certainly deserve their moment of fame on the World Wide Web.

Ian – It will be interesting to see how your Bill. 'Ralph Graham French' performs. I have had one for about five years now and every time it pups, the pup looks different to the one before it. Either mine is a very unstable plant or is wrongly named. It was one of the few I have ever bought on EBay. Does anyone else have this plant and can you add any info to what I've just said?

Where did the NOID go from pic 3? It seems like DG is playing games with you also Ian.

Shirley – Yes I already have you on a list for a Neo. 'Mesmerize' pup and can you add me to your list for a pup from your pink xGuzvriesea when you get a spare please?
I like the selection of pic's you've posted today. Your Neo. 'Justin's Song' is a great looking plant; in fact it looks like a giant Neo.'Gold Fever' which is one of my favourite spotted types. Neo. 'Justin's Song' was bred by a H. Maertz, a lady from Hawaii and was a result of Neo. 'Correia-araujoi' x Neo 'Charm'. From what I have read from various hybridisers, although this lady bred some nice plants, this was the only one she ever registered and it's named after her grandson.

It's interesting to see the spotted types coming back into popularity again down here where I live. They were just going out of favour when I started into brom's and now they're making a comeback; it seems brom's follow a fashion trend just like clothing.

I'll finish with four more brom. pic's and a fifth which isn't a brom pic but a health warning; if you go to Japan for a holiday, stay out of the swimming pool !

All the best, Nev.