Photo by Melody

Hostas: Which hostas are you prepared to get rid of to make space?, 1 by gardenmart

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gardenmart

In reply to: Which hostas are you prepared to get rid of to make space?

Forum: Hostas

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Which hostas are you prepared to get rid of to make space?
gardenmart wrote:
I keep hosta in pots over the winter. the trick is to prevent the top surface from icing over. That can rot the roots. I regularly thin out my hosta for my garden club plant sale. I have donated many Allan P. O'Connell which I use as a border, some small H. undulata which I brought with me from NJ when I moved in here in MA 30 years ago from a clump my grandmother had planted {I will always keep some of this for that reason}, Golden Tiara, Gold Drop, Stiletto, Green Elf, and i am ready to separate a Sum and Substance and Blue Cadet. Sum and Substance I find to be a slower growing type. Worth it if you have the part sunny spot to show off the chartreusy color, but it takes a while to get magnificent and ready to divide. We have also collected some NOIDs from various sources which are due for separation also this spring. My son enlarged and dug up a bed and moved hosta this past summer and I am ready to put some back now that he has done with the stone work.
I could probably lose Korean Snow, which has interesting but very pale variegation. Maybe this just needs a spot where it can be seen better. Also, slugs left my hosta alone as they concentrated on a couple of orchids I had on the ground outside. I saved them and they are blooming inside right now, but some of their leaves got pretty laced up.
Here is a picture of one of my Sum and Substance from last June. My six foot son and assistant gardener is in the picture for reference.
Martha