Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16, 1 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16
Amargia wrote:
Yummy!!! Now I want butterscotch pie
We have a generator, but I don't like the sound of it either or the routine cleaning and maintenance I have to do on a machine that is used once in a blue moon. We never bother to crank it up unless an outage last so long that food in the freezer might melt
We are having just the opposite problem with trees and the power lines. The workers who keep the lines clear are over-zealous and cut down trees that did not pose a reasonable threat to the lines. The company seems to be trying to extend the right of way it receives from property holders. Why do they shave off one side of a tree anyway? That practice makes absolutely no sense to me. It's like torturing a tree to death instead of simply cutting it down. The workers are heavy-handed with the herbicides also. That is a concern when your property and many waterways are downhill from a major run of high voltage lines. I know the power companies face more than the usual challenges from nature in this area. (Just to name a few: Fire ants getting into electronic equipment. Kudzu and half a dozen more vines with enough vigor to damage structures. Frequent hurricanes, tornadoes and flooding.) It is like the power company has declared war on nature and that is a war we can't possibly win. There have got to be better methods.
The windows are stuffed with pots of seeds from tomatoes to hollyhocks. We will harvest some kohlrabi today. If it tastes as well as it grows, we have a new easy winter crop to join the kale, mustard, collards and turnips.
Photo: Not exactly sure what this is, but it was a sunny surprise on the shadiest side of my deck rail planters and a nice contract to the blue wood anemones that are starting to pop up.
(Jim)