Photo by Melody

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Seed Swap Feb.16 PRO MIXES available from Ric, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Seed Swap Feb.16 PRO MIXES available from Ric

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Seed Swap Feb.16 PRO MIXES available from Ric
Gitagal wrote:
Just catching up with this Thread. Forgot to "watch it"....

I know I mentioned this somewhere before--but "Chapel Hills Nursery, right here in Perry Hall,
had "Fine Pines" (that's what theirs is called) for $5 a bag. The bag is a bit smaller than bags of mulch--
but full and heavy.
I bought 2 bags last spring--and only went through 1/2 of one. The "fines" are very small and uniform.
No big and small. I could swing by there and see if they still have them outside--frozen solid, I am sure.

Now--I could be a real "sweetheart" and go dump some out, put something to give you scale, and take a picture.
When will be the next "warm" day???

As for the crab shells---Why couldn't they be crushed in some way with something like a cement mixer
with some rocks in it??? Or--drive over a pile of crab shells with your car....over and over....till they are smithereens.
OR--(look out--my brain is buzzing...) --have a Crab Feast and then give everyone a hammer and let them go at the shells...
Then it would be easier to dig them in to compost.

I think that Oyster shells are a much "cleaner" product. No guts and gills or spices to worry about.
And--I bet they are pure calcium!
They line parking lots and driveways with them in places around the Bay. I saw it in Kent Island once....

I bought 2 bags of the Lobster Compost at DPF. They were wet--and sooo heavy!
The old "Chesapeake Blue" bags were smaller. Less than 1/2 of an el-cheapo top soil bag. And they cost $8 at the end.

Coleup and Ric--thanks for dredging my old Thread out of the 2008 "compost pile"....
It was fun reading it over again. How do you all find Threads on any particular topic?
I know you can "search" I have never tried it...There is still a lot I don't do or know about DG. Fill me in!

Gita

This message was edited Feb 19, 2013 9:34 PM