Specialty Gardening: Consolida or Delphinium, 1 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: Consolida or Delphinium

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Consolida or Delphinium
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
Birder...They are 21/2" pots. Not a system...or maybe I should claim as mine....lol. No bottom heat other than the lights from the shelf below. I just sprinkle seed on top of my homemade peat and peralite mix and top off with vermiculite if needed to cover seeds or just a light sprinkle just to let me know I've got seeds in the pot. Spray with water to dampen just the top of the pot. Nothing special other than use a clear plastic dome to cover the seeded pots til germination takes place. I usually wait til most of the seeds have sprouted before removing them to an open tray. Then is when I give the pot a good drink of water, making sure they are completely dampened all the way down.
Never done the winter sow method, not sure I would remember to keep track of them!! Nope on the thermostat other than the one on my house heater..lol. Daytime I keep it about 65-67*, daytime and drop the temp. back to 50-55* at night, (love my waterbed)....lol. Most of the time in the winter I open the blinds and let the sunshine warm the house for me..on cloudy days on go the extra layers..

Pat...lol. yes it definately is less expensive......but soo many goodies that can't be bought cuz they aren't available at the nurseries or box stores can be grown from seed......... And once you try growing from seed and realize how rewarding it is to see babies growing.....and then you can say "I did that myself and that is easy, gosh this is fun!!!!" When you get to that stage your hooked!!!!! I started one tray (72), of Johnny-Jump-Ups (2 packets of seed), and have let my babies reseed themselves. Now I have hundreds and hundreds of plants all for less than $5... Gosh this fun!!!!!