Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16, 1 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16
Amargia wrote:
Well, the hostage crisis wasn’t resolved peacefully, but it has been resolved. The ordeal is finally over for the little boy. Physically, at least. Emotional healing from that kind of trauma will take years.
Another trip to Cancun sounds like a blast, Carrie. I like making return visits to a destination. You can appreciate a place more deeply after the novelty has passed. This time if you are served nopalito you will know you are eating a prickly pear pad. Lol.
The back pain has been worse than usual lately so I’ve been doing lots of reading. I’ve read Flower Confidential . in my opinion, it gives a more balanced picture of things than the other “thorns and roses” stuff you see in print around Valentine’s and Mothers Day . (f I remember correctly. Amy Stewart called those sort of exposes “BLOOD and roses” articles. That is a more accurate description when you include the exposes on the Colombian cut flower industry. Did our government really think moving the cut flower industry to that part of the world would help curtail the illegal drug trade ? That seems Naïve.
A cooler filled with fragrant, locally grown flowers next to the cash register, is a part of my girls dream for their own coffee /bakery shop. (Did I say “..girls”? Uh-oh. You know you are getting old when you think of 20 and 30-something women as “girls.”) I might as well say “my daughters”. I don’t think of them anymore as my god-daughter or step-daughter. With no living fathers, they are simply daughters to me now.
We want to factor your mountain into our trip, Vickie. Kay’s oldest sister grew up near where you are and Kay wanted to take pictures of the place to bring to her. Arlene can’t travel, but we can still give her a virtual visit to her childhood home. It must be a beautiful place. It seems to haunt the people who lived there with pleasant memories. It was during WWII that Miss Hlen and her oldest daughters lived there. They had to have been poor and struggling, but they still speak of their years in Arkansas with a smile.
The doc prescribed Lortab5 for a while to handle the muscle tension and pain so I’m feeling better than I have been. Finally able to get some sleep. I just wish DD#1 did not work at a bakery. She doesn’t drive and a baker’s work day starts obscenely early. Nadine and I take turns driving her to and from work so it isn’t really too bad. I’m still walking the property every day on Kay’s arm so I get to see all the little seasonal changes. My none-to-clandestine love affair with my snapdragons continues. You’ve got to love them! They take a break in high summer, but the remainder of the year they just keep on keepin’ on. (Jim)
Photo: Snapdragons hanging out of my deck rail planter.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2013 9:12 AM