Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Consolida or Delphinium, 1 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: Consolida or Delphinium

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Consolida or Delphinium
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
Ok....My 1100 page reference book (shown below), weighing in at 20 lbs, (so it must be right..lol)...Say: Delphinium consolida (see Consolida (LARKSPUR)). So botanically it's a delph. first and subdivided to Consolida.
Consolida lists ajacis and ambigua(see ajacis), both annual. Didn't list regalis or yunnanense tho in either heading.

So most of the annuals are listed as Consolida tho not all....want me to confuse you some more...lol.
Delphuinium requienii is listed as a delph tho an annual or biennial, (I got seed in the rare seed trade last fall so am trying now).
Delphinium grandiflorum or (chinese) is listed as a short lived perenn. or grow as an annual, have grown them in the garden and they do reseed, tho growing more under lights at the moment. LOL...See even the experts have a time of it classifying plants.

Birder..do you remember last spring the gal from New Zeland, wanna say dowdeswell (think that's it. anyway she is a hybridizer and sent samples to those that asked (mine are growing now),if still wanting some more info she might be able to help.

Pix:The American Horticultural Society A-Z Encyclpedia of Plants
Pix...how bad is that ...I have to cage mine from the deer