Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Daylilies: HAPPY BIRTHDAY gardenglory !!!!!, 1 by Lyle627

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Lyle627

In reply to: HAPPY BIRTHDAY gardenglory !!!!!

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of HAPPY BIRTHDAY  gardenglory !!!!!
Lyle627 wrote:
Hybridizing is personal to me. I make crosses that interest me and me alone. If I like purple then I will look for the best purples (also I use some reds with the purples) that are hardy in my grow zone, and in the form I like to work with, this goes for the other colors and forms.

Depending on what part of the country you live in, rebloom is important this allows for less bud count, in colder climates where it may be more difficult to get rebloom, bud count is very important. Again parentage is important. Plants with good bud count and rebloom in their background would be a good choice.

The bloom - Some will sacrifice the bud count for the pretty face, only the two parents with very nice blooms regardless the bud count would be right for such cross.

It is impossible to determine what a seedling will look like, that is the fun of hybridizing.

As for buying seeds, depending on dip, or Tet, you have a lot of hidden traits involved, and you may not get what you think from the two parents in the cross, unless you buy seeds from someone with a greenhouse you may be plant bee pod seeds, which may produce seedlings no better than some of your worse daylilies. My recordation is to make your own controlled crosses.

Hybridizers know what traits they want to bring out of a cross, and it isn't always the most expensive parents used,

The first 2 photos are the parents the third is a seedling from the cross

SPACECOAST BEHAVIOR PATTERN X WHEEL OF TIME

It is always important to set goals when it comes to hybridizing.