Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013
weed_woman wrote:
hello, here I am. Still reading all the posts and catching up.
Ian, I am glad the seeds arrived. I hope you get some good growing weather so you can sow some more and repot seedlings. I have a Pitcairnia that was labelled paniculata, and it isn't, but seeing your pic of Pit. spicata, I'm wondering if that might be it? If i can find a photo, I will attach it.
Nev, that heat sounds atrocious. I have been keeping cool with regular swims and cold showers. Theres not much else that I can do, no air con! All your photos are lovely, and I am glad you have been getting some good time in with your son. I hope you don't get a return of the hot weather, and that there isn't too much damage to your plants.
Hi Bree, I've not heard of Neo. 'Fruitcake' where did you get it? There is a trick with your variegated A. blanchettiana, and that is to keep it slightly shaded, and well fed (fertilised) They seem to lose the variegation in too much light. You have been posting lots of lovely pictures lately
Shirley, I grew alot of seed from Neo. 'Fiesta' (F2s) and most are pretty wishy washy, but have nice shape. I think they need crossing with something more colourful? Imagine an N. 'jewellery shop' with the N. 'Fiesta' shape! that would be nice. Your NOID Neo looks familiar, but once again, i cannot put my finger on it. I love your Ananas photos!
Trish, I hope you get well soon! Seems you've been sick for way too long! Are you taking enough time off work to kick it? Maybe some cooler weather would help!
Tash, nice to see you dropping in to post now and then. I keep my eyey on you on FB and can see you are a busy little vegemite, so fully understand the time factor. I hope you do well with your Ebay sales.
Jean, new broms? Did i read right? oh dear! I like your idea of florist foam to put the new pups in. I've not heard of or thought of that as an idea for pups, but it makes sense. thanks for all the photos.
Hello to Wendy, Jen and Kristi (if you look in)
Well, I had better see what photos I have for you.
photo one is some hanging minis and xNeophytum 'Galactic Warrior' from Nev
photo two is the Pitcairnia. It has the same foliage as yours Ian, what do you think?
photo three is not technically of bromeliads, although I did get an Aehmea blanchettiana in there. It is mostly about the heliconia rostratas. The best flowering I've had yet, although the leaves are very wind damaged.
talk again soon
Sue
Sue