Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013, 5 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Now let’s try this again the proper way and type my thread in my usual Word doc and copy and paste my thread after I attach my photos – right! Thanks everyone for understanding my frustration with myself, my evil twin has gone today and I am back to my normal self and I have got my sh*# together so to speak LOL. Shirley drowning myself in a huge vat of Bailey’s Irish Cream with crushed ice sounded way much nicer then in my cup of tea, I luv Bailey’s Irish Cream especially on the rocks YUM!

Shirley glad to hear you are interested in a pup of Neo Catlans Leopard, once mother brom has pupped I will let you know, I think I have 3 x mums as I liked this brom so much but am still waiting for pups. They look great around the garden because they are so much lighter in colour compared to some of my other broms. Also glad to hear you are going to try the pot in another pot dug into your garden beds for some of your broms, you will not be disappointed it works well in some of our garden beds and is more ecstatically pleasing to the eye with pots hidden in the ground.

Shirley that Pic of Ae. Rakete you posted the other day is really nice; I have not seen this one before, does its marking get more intense? I also like the under leaf colour that also reflects the markings.

Oh Shirley your Neo ‘Devil’s Ruby’ in your pic 2 is stunning, so very different for it to have a green centre instead of the other way around, will the dominant colour fill the centre eventually or does the centre stay green? Not sure what your NOID pic 3 is but it kind of reminds me a bit of Neo ‘Moana’s Beauty’ as it has the specks through it but the colour is way pinker?

Hi Bree, thanks for the heads up that Nev’s off line because his computer has died, I must have missed his last Dec’ thread saying this.

Bree Pic 3 posted on 31/12/12 was Neo ‘Lime & Lava’.

Bree don’t chuck your old mums away, even when they are half dead with only half a body they more than likely will still produce pups, I have a retirement village for my old mums and they are all producing pups, the only mums I chuck out are the ones where there centres are rotting out so as not to spread disease, like Sue if the mum is in bad condition but has pups I cut the mum away but leave the pups on the root ball in the pot. Some of my mums only have half bodies but their centres still have flowers so I kept them intact with the pups on. I will have to take some pictures of some of my old mums over the weekend so you can see how bad some of mine look but they are definitely worth keeping for a bit longer and a little bit of fertiliser help’s them along nicely either to pup or for the new pups to grow nice and strong. Just keep them away from all other broms, that’s why I have them opposite end of the garden in my brom retirement village lol.

Hi Dalfyre glad to hear that your repairs are done now, sounds like you could be going brom shopping real soon and it would be great to see pics of what sort of plants you choose for your garden, hopefully there will be quite a few broms in there, they won’t disappoint you as they are a very hardy plant and easy to grow and maintain and if you need any advice we are all here to help.

Hi Ian further to the pic you posted of your Neo Fosperior I have one call Neo ‘Fosperior Perfection’ but it looks very different to your Neo Fosperior as it has variegated leaves, I have attached as Pic 1.

Ian thanks for posting pic of your mini’s growing in mango tree, they appear to be doing really well, I will definitely give it a go hear, how do you tie them to tree? I wonder if I could just use some of my cooking string and tie them just enough to not fall until they have time to take hold of the bark?

Hi Sue great try guessing names of my pics posted on 2/1/13, Pic one is actually labelled as Neo Marmorata by the Seller but I will have to check paperwork again as does not sound right because it’s colour is a real grape colour with spots rather than greenish with spots? Pic 2 Correct is Neo ‘Macho’, Pic 3 Correct is Ae. ‘Chantinii’, Pic 4 Neo ‘Red Gold’ was a NOID that I purchased for $5 from a back yard brom sale, it was not labelled but I really liked it because it has a real nice apricot pink look about it with pink dots and it luvs full sun, I can’t wait to get pups of it because I want to plant some more around the garden and do not have many full sun hardy bromeliads. Pic 5 Correct Tillandsia cyanea (I forgot I have this one which makes it 2 x Till’s that I own LOL), she is a really pretty brom and I have her growing under 70% shade cloth.

Sue I luved the before and after pics of your garden, you have been very busy indeed weeding and planted broms, looks great. I managed to weed out front garden bed over the holidays and will have to take a pic of that, I still have a lot of pruning to do to the side front garden bed but ran out of time so plan to do some more over the weekend hopefully.

Hi Jen no unfortunately my first pic 1 posted on 2/1/13 is not Neo ‘Fairy Tale’ or Berry something. Heaven? I will dig up the paperwork over the weekend and get back to everyone as well as I have to get back to everyone who enquired regarding who the seller was for Vr. Black on Yellow. The label on my first pic 1 posted on 2/1/13 was labelled Neo ‘Marmorata’ but that does not sound right at all?

Jen all you Guzmanias pics are gorgeous, I think I only have about two or three in my collection, I don’t know why that is because I really like their flower?

Hi Wendy hope you are feeling much better, we miss hearing from you and seeing your beautiful pics.

Hi to anyone else looking in and anyone on the Sick List, we miss hearing from you all.

Anyway I was going to put the kettle on and make a cup of tea but for some funny reason now I have a craving for Bailey’s Irish Cream on the Rocks so I am going to pay our home bar a visit and poor myself a good splash, anyone care to join me, I know Shirley would but with crushed ice. I have never tried it with crushed ice, I will have to give that a go and report back to Shirley on which way I like drinking it better LOL.

Take care and Happy Gardening Everyone!

Trish

Pic 1 – Neo Fosperior Perfection for Ian
Pic 2 – Various broms
Pic 3 – Not broms sorry, but could not resist to post pic of my Coral plants in flower, I have forgotten what their proper name is but reminds me of Coral so I call them my Coral Plants.
Pic 4 – Various broms
Pic 5 – Various broms