Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013
77sunset wrote:
Happy New Year everyone.
I hope you all enjoy good health and lots of fun with your broms.

I have finally cleaned out all of the greenhouse now . I have mainly the smaller broms and growing pups in there now and can walk around without getting bitten by those on the floor.
All the old shabby ones and Mums with pups to be taken off are in the old epi house where I can work on them as i feel like it. .

I am pleased with the color I see on most of mine but I seem to have bought quite a few that stay green , only coloring when ready to flower.
I will have to look at more colored ones. I do like striped and spotty ones.
My vriesia flowers are getting taller by the day.
I have 2 ae. fasciatas but they have never done much.
Some of the bills are not doing anything either.
I had flowers on all the neos that were ready and plenty of color on them.
There are about 20 pups to be repotted from the mums now.

Looking at how lovely the vriesias are, I am going to devote a whole bench to them.

I have a pic for Nev when he is back on. This is the vriesia ensiformis he sent me and it has doubled in size with pups as big now.
The large vriesia I pictured on the old thread ( heiroglyphica x Red Chestnut ) is now showing a lovely reddish color on some of the outer leaves. This must be from the Red Chestnut parent. Its going to be interesting to see how it develops. I added the pic again and you can see the color on the leaf right at the back left.
Is there a name for this plant or do I just keep using the parentage ?
Enjoy your day
Jean.