Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: Black Plum Paste or ANY black paste tomato, 1 by RiverNymph

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright RiverNymph

In reply to: Black Plum Paste or ANY black paste tomato

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Black Plum Paste or ANY black paste tomato
RiverNymph wrote:
Carolyn,

Oh, I am in total agreement. I am sorry if I came off a little snooty.
The cause of my attitude was honestly because I recently looked up
Black Plum Paste's plant profile, and there are TONS of negative comments.
I was in disbelief! I've also read that some people just hate dark tomatoes all around and will
only eat red. I understand just fine that we're all biologically different, and where
one thing may taste sweet to one person, to another it could be bitter/sour.

But honestly, I sort of just feel like in this instance, people don't know a good thing sometimes! haha!
It seems like there are so many people out there who think anything they try that hasn't been
seen in a grocery store must be 'gross'. I think a lot of people are just use to store bought
tomatoes and so they aren't interested in training their taste buds a little to enjoying
the delights of something different.

Any way, I live outside of Montrose, CO, but a little higher in elevation (7 thousand feet or so),
just at the foot hills of the amazing San Juan Mountain range. Very close to Telluride.
Just moved here from the city (midwest) to live closer to the wild/nature. It's been amazing.
I do a lot of hiking and outdoor sports.

I don't think I'm any where near as experienced as you, I certainly havn't grown thousands!
Only dozens. I've tried various darker cherry varieties here and there, but not a
ton. Surprisingly even at my elevation veggies grow rather well so long as they're
protected from the intensity of the alpine sun which can just burn everything alive.
Everything has to be shaded with netting and filtered light, but it creates perfect
conditions. I grew only 7 types of black tomatoes this past summer. Most are in
my trade list.

I can't honestly say I know if there is a difference between black plum or black plum paste.
But I'll try to research it and post back.
I bought mine directly here: http://sustainableseedco.com/product.php?productid=16574&pag...

I'm glad to have been acquainted with you Carolyn! I'm new to the website and have fallen
in love with it! Cheers!