Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: December 2012- Where's the snow???, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: December 2012- Where's the snow???

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of December 2012- Where's the snow???
shortleaf wrote:
Hehe.. me on the bicycle?! Then who'd take the other photo?! That must be why you didn't ask! : ) Dear, the tool tools alone!! I don't think that bicyclist actually climbed that hill, I think he/she was up there just looking down, I believe he/she came from the other way, I'd be intimidated by that hill too! But, the other way has hills too, just not as steep. No, the Spruces aren't doing too good, I believe those Spruces are dead, I'll be surprised if they get any green in the Spring. I've seen a few dead Spruces before, when they lose ALL the foliage I believe that's it, we'll see, I'm not removing them yet just in case of something miraculous.

Yeah, the upper zone doesn't go too high on Spruces maybe zone 6 or 7, even at my 6a, they likely weren't made for the extraordinarily dry, hot Summer we had here this year, where I think we went without significant rain for 70 something days. Here's what Ehow says about them and their hardiness. It's funny, the one Dwarf Alberta Spruce that's left was a Living Christmas Tree but I also watered the snot out of it as well. - http://www.ehow.com/how_8748374_plant-dwarf-alberta-spruce.h...
This Colorado Blue Spruce 'Globosa' lost some foliage as well, luckily, not a whole lot, I watered the snot out of it this Summer! -

I hope my hundreds of what looks like little Purple Coneflower seedlings are really Purple Coneflower seedlings. I just stuck the dried seedheads (dried flowers) in pots of soil and little seedlings popped up all around them, so I'm hoping they're Purple Coneflowers.

My Rose Tree is still in leaf too, it was just blooming up until about a week ago! My Rose bush from happ is still leafy too.
Will

This message was edited Dec 5, 2012 2:25 AM