Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 1 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone, we've had quite a change in the weather down here. It's cold with a strong southerly wind blowing and nothing like the weather's supposed to be this time of the year.

Ian – Do you have a pic of Ae. Aztec? I don't know of this one and although it's on the BCR, there isn't a picture with the text. If you have any of the seed you mention which is surplus to your requirements and looking for a home, I'm sure I could accommodate it as I have a group of young growers down here who are always looking for seed.

I like your little mini Neo. Domino, it's a great little plant and won the best mini Neo in our show the year before last.

Trish – I like the night pic's that Joe took, they look altogether different at night. Unfortunately it looks like Dave's Garden is up to their old tricks once again and chopping out pic's.

Wendy – Not much of a way to spend a morning. It's a pity you don't live down this way, I have three mowers under the house that I don't use any more and unfortunately my kids have their own and don't borrow them.

Sue – It looks like you have a lot of potting to do. Personally I find it very relaxing and always enjoy a day at the potting bench, so it's a pity we didn't live closer or I could give you a helping hand.

I had an email from Ross Little yesterday to say that Ae Mac Foster is now officially registered and on the BCR so to anyone who has this plant which was grown under many different names in the past, a quick visit to the BCR at: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=AECHMEA&id=1... will tell you all about it.

I'm looking forward to the journals arriving, it will be like an early Christmas present.

Sue when you get a spare pup you want to sell of Till. 'Creations', please let me know details as I'm after one.

Looking at your pic's, you certainly have a lot of potting ahead of you. Was the grower you got the plants from just a private grower or was it a brom nursery? Just asking as it looks to have been a reasonably large shade house in your pic. I'm surprised you didn't buy that and all the benches as well.

Time to go now, so just some pic's I took yesterday, firstly Pic's 1 and 2 which is (supposed to be) a Neo. I got in a batch of swaps. It's called Neo. 'Kel', and I can't find it on the BCR so if anyone knows anything about it please let me know as I think it could be a bi-generic and not a Neo at all judging by the way the inflorescence is growing. Pic 3 is a Nidularium NOID as is Pic 4 and again if anyone has a name, please let me know. Pic 5 is a Vriesea NOID I have and is flowering for the first time and I will take more pic's as it progresses.

All the best, Nev.