Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Well, speaking of viburnums..., 1 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: Well, speaking of viburnums...

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Well, speaking of viburnums...
DonnaMack wrote:
I agree with you - but feel free (PLEASE!) to suggest.

Ah, Morton. I had two viburnum dentatum Chicago Lustre (Synnestvedt). I think that will be one of the choices. It was a landscapers choice to cover the garage, but what a cover! Here they are in my old yard (Picture 1) Well, this was one of the two. They were huge! The birds loved them. I understand that they can take part shade. I know people don't think they are the sexiest viburnum but I truly grew to love them. And vigorous. I pruned them like mad (so one would have been enough). One of the things I love about them is the way they grow to the ground. (picture 2). And it is claimed they can take part sun or shade.

Losing five doublefile viburnums in a single year has made me wary of zone hardiness claims. As much as I love them, I think that they are out.

I need to stay a bit small, so I am looking at cultivars of the compact trilobums and opulus. I keep hearing that they look alike but I found them very different. I only had one opulus but it was next to a trilobum and they both berried like mad so I am guessing that they are pollinating each other (wrong?) I had great success with them. There are so many new and beautiful ones (and yes, I went to the website of Classic Viburnums) and almost lost my mind.

I intend to evaluate them in person at Platt Hill Nursery. They have:

Viburnum carlesi ( I had a "compactum" that became a gorgeous monster. Pics 3 and 4. The person put in two. And being huge, one killed the other. A good eight feet tall and quite wide. I am wondering if the one was pollinated by either the dentatum or trilobum that was nearby. Since they all bloomed like mad I surmised that they must be pollinating each other. This is one of the big reasons I am considering them again.

Blue Muffin Arrowwood Viburnum. I have read that the fruit set on this cultivar is disappointing in fruit production. Was it Dirr?

Chicago Lustre

Viburnum nudim Wintertur. Another that can apparently take sun or shade. I've never seen one in person.

Viburnum opulus compactum - had one, loved it. I have read that they are more subject to borers trilobum, but I never experienced it.

Viburnum trilobum 'Bailey Compact' - but Platt notes that fruit set is sparse - hey, what's the point?

Viburnum trilobum 'J.N. Select' aka Redwing. May be too big, but I'm intrigued.

Viburnum opulus "Roseum' - too large.

Judd viburnum (which seems to me would be a carlesi substitute).

I already have my beady eye on the locations from which I can rip out crud.

I am one of those people who starts well in advance. I think that what I am looking for is two more compact viburnums for sun that will pollinate each other. And of course I want it all - the fruit the flowers, the wonderful fall color.

Am I being unreasonable? Yes!

Are viburnums so wonderful that I can be unreasonable? Yes.

Seriously, I would be so grateful for your advice. I am starting to go down the list of Classic Viburnums, but frankly, you are the dude!

Thanks,

Donna