Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
weed_woman wrote:
good morning
Nev, glad to hear you have had some rain. We had a little overnight, just enough to keep it steamy today, I reckon. I know when the humidity is high by how much black spot is on the roses (not mine) I tend!
I have saved the link to Michaels bromeliads, for a long look later!
You are lucky to have found that Bill. rosea when you did, as my flowers turn brown the day after opening.
Shirley, I grow Hohenbergia leopoldo-horstii in the garden in full sun with no problems. I haven't had any difficulties with it at all. It is slow, so no pups yet.
Aechmea 'Lucky Stripes' regularly throws albino pups, and I did the same as you, took one off, and it died. Just out of interest, if you have an A. gamosepala with the white stripes in the middle of the leaf, it is A 'Mardi Gras'. Does anyone have it?
Ian, I think your theory has hit the nail on the head.
I checked the N. kautskyii seed today, for those wanting some, and they are not quit ready, but I will let you all know when they are. I also forgot to take a pic of N. 'Freddie' but thats not unusual!
Wendy, sorry to hear the news was not better for Max. Did they remove the tumor? At least you get a few more weeks to make the most of your time with him.
I am interested in the seed growing group, can you put a link on my page? I haven't noticed too much difference in my growing methods, as to Sphagnum versus peat, but maybe a mix of the two would result in both top and bottom growth?
I'm already ahead of you with the variegated plants. I have been setting up for another sale next weekend, and have bulk displays of one plant in each area, so will slip in a variegates one here and there. I'll let you know how it goes.
Wow, your xmas tree has grown. I recently came into possession of hundreds of N. 'Fireball' so might have a go at something like that too!
I have alot of Noid plats that i am looking for an ID on. If anyone can help it would be good.
Photo one is a big bugger. I thought maybe a takemura?
Photo two is also a large one (see my foot?) and is a bit more purple than shown
Photo three is another biggy.
Photo four is the baby crow I had to catch and release elsewhere, before he became breakfast for my dogs!
Photo five is a mass of N. 'Painted Lady' ready for the sales tables.
Sue