Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 1 by works4me

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright works4me

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
works4me wrote:
Hi all, Wednesday is our shopping day so we have done nothing at home today.

Wendy, love the neos in your pics. That’s four more to go on the wish list. Frankie and Freddie seem odd names for such lovely broms, even Bill Morris. I guess they have been named after friends or family of the grower.

Love the wedding pics, Wendy and waiting anxiously for news of Max.

Bree, I have neo Fairytale, it looks nothing like yours, which is stunning. Mine is very different, I will try to remember to take a pic tomorrow for comparison.

Nev, those hybrids from Hawaii are just AWESOME, I love them all, they are all so beautiful and so different too but neo Cats Pyjamas and neo Blueberry Pie, WOW. Neo Noble Descent is one I don’t have Nev, so I can’t comment on how well it grows in Brissie. I am sure Wendy or Jen will have it though.

Sue, I would love a pup of neo Break of Day, thank you, I will send you a Dmail. I can’t believe you have trouble selling your variegated neos, I think they are the most eyecatching. I saw a beauty the other day, neo Solar Flare, another quickly added to the wishlist. I love Hohenbergia leopoldo-horstii too but have heard they are difficult to grow and since they are rather expensive I have resisted the urge to buy one. Would I be likely to have problems growing this one in Bris.

Sue, we are working on extending our new shadehouse already. Like you, we planned to travel around Oz and began cutting back on the number of potted plants, mostly succulents at the time, so we could take off but then the super took a dive and we put it off. Since then I have caught the brom bug and I know it will be difficult to part with any of my little brom friends any time soon so I think it will be a while yet before we make new travel plans.

I have an Ae Gamosepala that has an albino pup. This is the second one it has thrown and I made the mistake of removing the first, which promptly died. I will leave this one on its’ mum and see how it fares. I also have a flowering bill which is unnamed and I will post a pic. If anyone can tell me its’ name I would love to know.

That’s it for me tonight, bye now

Shirley

Pics are 1 Ae Gamosepala, 2 bill ? and 3 neo Rafael