Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
weed_woman wrote:
Good morning,
Nev, that Cats Pyjamas is the ......well.......cats pyjamas! I want one! or two. I wish I could get my Neo. 'Noble Decent' to that colour too, but, despite being out in the garden and in high light, it doesn't quite reach the intensity of your photo.
I will check the kautskyii seed for readiness, this morning, as there are a couple of takers, but I am certain there will be plenty to go around! N. kautskyii grows well in the garden here, in fact, just about every bromeliad I have planted performs better than those in the pots. My theory is that they become accustomed to the permanent position, where as in pots, they are often moved, even if just a little bit, and have to adjust to changes in light direction and temperature.
Shirley, I will gladly pop a pup of N. 'break of day' in the post for you, if you don't mind a little bit of burn? They pup very well, so you will soon have an unblemished plant to admire. They form a nice clump, and are very tidy growers.
Seeing your N. 'Roys Special' reminds me.....I have about 10 variegated Neos on my sales bench, from N. 'Raphael', 'Picollo', 'Carolinae Tricolour', 'Maggies Pride' e.t.c, and they never sell! Everyone prefers the solid colours, or the reds, so it seems? I used to gravitate toward the variegated plants, and in fact, still do. I have decided this sale to spread them out amongst the colours, to give them a better chance of selling. else I guess, they will go and live in the garden.
Jean, you have done very well to only accumulate 100 bromeliads! I am glad they are all growing well for you. How many brugmansias and Iris are you up to? How is everyone in the tea room. I haven't popped in for ages, as this thread keeps me busy enough, but say hello to all from me please.
Ian, I bought a mature Werauhia sanguinolenta from a brisbane show one year, and it never flowered, but pupped from the centre, and now the pup has taken over, and you cannot see where the parent ends and pup begins. They don't like the winters, so I have mine in a sheltered spot, getting morning sun, and it is a very deep, intense burgundy on top and bottom of the leaf. I also bought a seedling of the same, at the same show, and while it has been slow, it was greener on the top of the leaf, but as it has matured, it has gained the burgundy colouring. I grow them the same as a Vriesea. I did try some seed, which germinated, but didn't last the winter. I have two Werauhia kupperiana seedlings (from 7 that Nev sent) that live in the hot house, as they don't like our mild temps, but prefer it hot and humid. They 'might' have to go North if they don't grow a bit more this year.
Hohenbergia leopoldo-horstii is one of my favourite broms, and I love the tubby, chubby shape when it is grown in full sun, and the black/silvery coloring it gets. I haven't flowered one yet.
Wendy, I like N. 'Freddie' too. My husband bought me one from a feller that was taking the pups off too small, and it has never recovered. It has thrown two pups, both of which stayed small plants, and one is variegated while the other isn't. I will persevere with it, but I even have my doubts as to whether it is 'Freddie' or not? I will take a pic as soon as it is light. How is Max? I kept my fingers crossed he will be OK.
I can see why everyone wants your N. 'Bill Morris'. It looks great.
bree, I can see a couple of weeds, but your lovely plants outshine them. I don't think it matters if you had orchids in you shade house or not, because there is never enough room, and in fact, we are about to make ANOTHER shade house! gulp! And here was I, supposed to be cutting back so I can go travelling! .
Trish, I am glad to hear your back is feeling better. I have had my moments with a sore back, and have learned to do lots of things differently now. Unfortunately, I had to give up my gardening work, or I wouldn't have been able to do my own around here. I hope yours continues to mend and you have many years of trouble free gardening!
Well folks, I have a ton of things to do, starting with seeds from kautskyii and a photo of N. 'Freddie' so I'd best get my feet on the floor!
Talk tomorrow
Sue
photo is of my friends plant....Vriesea 'Rafael'