Photo by Melody

Shade Gardening: Help me plan my plantings for this corner shade garden, 1 by rouge21

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright rouge21

In reply to: Help me plan my plantings for this corner shade garden

Forum: Shade Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Help me plan my plantings for this corner shade garden
rouge21 wrote:
speediebean wrote:Brunnera, (gorgeous blue blooms),
Those are lovely too, as are Columbines.... all of these ideas are hardy in your zone, by the way. :)

Excellent reminders.

I have both "Brunnera" (Jack Frost and Kings Ransom...JF is way better than KR in my opinion). It is with this plant that I started to understand the value of foliage.

In the summer of 2011 I planted 5 "Brunnera" forgetting that I had put them in locations that are covered with "Forget Me Not" flowers in the spring. So of course you can imagine that these "Brunnera" basically bloom for nothing each spring as the flowers are identical to FMN....embarrassing!

I have included below a picture of my favourite columbine that I snapped late last May. I think it is called 'Origami Blue & White'. It is in a very shady location just on the other side of the fence behind that new corner garden.

Another wonderful shade plant I have...again located not far from this new garden is a the Tiarella 'Sugar and Spice'. Here is a picture of one of mine from this past spring.
speediebean wrote:May I just say, thank you for letting us all chime in with our ideas for your plan.

"speediebean" I don't even know you and yet from the above comment I am just betting you are a wonderful person.