Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: Nov. 2012 - Holidays are near and Fall leaves are here!, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: Nov. 2012 - Holidays are near and Fall leaves are here!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Nov. 2012 - Holidays are near and Fall leaves are here!
shortleaf wrote:
I like to walk thru woods that are full of Bur Oak trees. American Beech trees are nice. I always did like the smoothness of their bark and how the trunk is tall. I have never seen a Beech tree, if they grow around here I don't know where. According to Wikipedia, they aren't in Missouri, though they are in IN. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagus_grandifolia
Though, other sites say it is here, I've never seen it but that doesn't mean it isn't here somewhere! - http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=fagr
I don't know if Wikipedia is an authority on trees! I like Wikipedia and all but I'm inclined to go with usda.gov on this!

I like the Red Oak family too, just not as much! lol Pin Oak (a Red Oak tree) has got to be one of the most commonly planted residential trees there is.
Red Oaks are a faster growing bunch of trees and the quality of the wood is lower and they only live prolly between one half to one third as long as a White Oak tree, prolly closer to 1/3.
To each his/her own, but give me a White Oak!

Thanks for the compliment juhur, I hope the ones in my pics turn out good someday!

Oh, an open grown old Bur or White Oak tree is the ultimate Sleepy Hollow tree too! They are just more apt in general to be a nice roundness and more inclined to live longer and be less stressed out if not competing with other forest trees, grown in the open. Just imagine this great big old Bur Oak tree (in Independence, Mo.) without leaves on it and a headless horseman coming out of the trunk! -

Yeah, if one was a tree they wouldn't have to worry quite as much about age!

Boy, politics is the excitement of the hour! Oh, I agree too about politics, I'm not saying anything one way or the other or mentioning names..lol

Will