Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: Nov. 2012 - Holidays are near and Fall leaves are here!, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: Nov. 2012 - Holidays are near and Fall leaves are here!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Nov. 2012 - Holidays are near and Fall leaves are here!
shortleaf wrote:
Yes, was a smoker back in the day. Now, if I could just quit drinking the whiskey every day!
I'm just kidding! I have drank maybe once this year!

Your welcome for the thread, maybe someone will do the honors next month.
Here is a bunch of crowded acorns as well! It's a bunch of White Oak acorns that I learned sprouted very soon after getting them in the Fall!
They all perished, I believe the cold got them before I got them buried deeper. I know about not having a place to plant trees! I'd love to start a White Oak tree in a permanent spot, it would make a great legacy tree. In this photo on the left is a Chinkapin Oak and on the right is a Swamp White Oak, I grew both from acorns. I got the Chinkapin Oak acorns from Fleming Park here (Lake Jacomo), and the Swamp White Oak acorns from Powell Gardens Arboretum just East and South of here. I am partial to the Oaks in the White Oak family because they live so much longer, and don't break as easily in storms. Altho, I'd take ANY oaks over Bradford Pears or Silver Maples! These are getting big and their taproots must be pretty long but I don't have a place to plant them and I don't want to throw them away. Their leaves are all curled up because that was this Summer when it was so hot and the leaves fell off then grew back. Behind them on the left is an Eastern White Pine that died over the Summer.

Here is the biggest Oak tree (or any tree), that I've ever seen. It's the Missouri state champion Bur Oak, (which was also the last time I looked a runner-up for the national champion Q. Macrocarpa). It is South of Columbia, Mo. about 60 miles I think, in McBaine in Boone County.

Thanks Sally, the Mezoo is gonna make a great hanging plant someday.

Get this, the post office returned an envelope with a SpiderPlant baby in it and 2 Wondering Jew cuttings in it for insufficient postage. The cuttings were rotten when I got them back and they wanted the extra postage anyway. I wasn't home when she came but my friend gave them the $1.30 and it wasn't even delivered. I opened the envelope out of curiousity what they looked like and they smelled so bad I just put the envelope in the trash.

Thanksgiving is a mere 20 days away, yum! And almost time to power-shop!

I looked over the pics at your website Bernie, those are some real nice cabinets and stuff, good work on the website too.

Don't forget to turn your clocks back tonite!
Will