Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: Nov. 2012 - Holidays are near and Fall leaves are here!, 2 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

Subject: Nov. 2012 - Holidays are near and Fall leaves are here!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

Back to post
Photo of Nov. 2012 - Holidays are near and Fall leaves are here!
shortleaf wrote:
In my case, it is nearly all Pin Oak leaves. Hehe.. yes just the word "Taco" is deceptive, sorry Sally, it's not a very common tree at all. I don't think many people are aware of that tree even.
Guy Sternberg selected it not only for it's unique growing situation there but it has some interesting Fall colors that it's 2 contributing trees, the Bur and the White Oak don't have.
It has a combination of the 2 colors in the Fall, it's like the Bur's unspectacular brown mixed with the White's spectacular purplish/red Fall leaves. And I believe, it was unlike those other two in that it was a faster growing tree, unusual for a member of the White Oak family. I wasn't involved in it's discovery and selection, I only remember a few things about it that I was told, it's an interesting tree.

I don't know that I'll get a flu shot, I may go the season with my fingers crossed this year.

Haha! Till you quit smoking! I used to smoke too, in my early twenties, well, 18-28 or so, actually in that period I had quit for 2 and a1/2 years then started back up unfortunately. I haven't had one cigarette since Feb. 95', it is hard to quit smoking, I tried hundreds of times before I actually did it, but boy I felt better afterwards. Cold turkey and willpower is the only way.

Wow, 7 quarts of broth, that's a bunch, maybe you could have it with your Thanksgiving dinner, it sounds good.
Will