Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012
weed_woman wrote:
It looks like we posted at the same time, nev.
Good morning. I think I missed a day! It was a scorcher on Wednesday, and yesterday was overcast and a lovely temperature. It looks like we had one drop of rain overnight, but every bit counts in the tank.....even condensation!
I had a look around big W yesterday. there were three Neos. (N. 'Dantes Peak', N. 'Purple Star' and N. 'Sand grouper'), from the Olive Branch. They had $12 written on the tags, and $15 written on the pots! Pity they weren't more appealing to me, or I could have got them for the twelve dollars. Other than that, there was an assortment of undersized guzmanias and some seedling Vriesea splenreits for $11! I went home with a Phaleonopsis orchid instead, which has about 20 open flowers and about 50 buds yet to open. It has two flower spikes that are branched. Its the most flowers i have ever seen on one, and they were only $19.95 compared to $26 at bunnings. I think the orchids might soon take over?
Wendy, thats just awful that someone has come into your yard and knicked stuff. I know its happened in the past too. A bit of razor wire along the top of the fence might slow them down a bit, and a few Bromelia plants along the outside might stop them even approaching. I hope you can find a way of keeping the 'so and so's' out.
Nev, I love the pic of Quesnelia 'Tim Plowman' variegata. Does it have a registered Name? I also like the marble throat hybrid. They make for interesting and tough plants. I am glad you got the cooler weather instead, much nicer when playing in the garden. So whats the next step for your knee? Or is it a case of 'Get used to it,Buddy'? I hope there is good answer, or failing that, some very good medication to keep you pain free.
Ian, I am glad you are keeping your Aechmea pectinata flower. I haven't flowered mine yet, but it is going little pink on the leaves. I made the mistake of moving it about two years ago, just as it as starting to colour, and it went back to green and sulked. I'm not game to move it at all now, and a couple of Phildendron leaves have created quite a bit of shade for it. I am tempted to cut them back so i can get a better view, but wonder if he extra light will be enough to make it sulk again? I look forward to seeing your photos as it progresses.
Colleen, I am pleased you are feeling on the mend, although with all the things that need potting,how will you avoid the heavy lifting?Your new babies look very nice, and as for your question regarding moving the pots from the Reo bar, it might be a good idea, or if you can manage/afford it, another piece of shade cloth through summer is also an option. I am of the opinion that a plant losing its colour is much better than a plant with burned leaves!
Shirley, don't cry! It will be okay. Johnny and Wendy will make sure you go home with something special. (patting you on the back) there there! The nasty bromeliad burglar will get bad karma and get him/herself spiked on an Aechmea bracteata or something similar. The two plants you posted are gorgeous, by the way.
Trish, i forgot to comment on your Noid in the previous post. I wondered if it could be Neo. 'Midnight'? also know as 'Voodoo' I believe? If it is,just play around with positioning until you get the colour right, as it goes a deep black in the right light, or greenish in the wrong. It is a prolific pupper, in my opinion, so you should have plenty of pups to try in different positions.
I will leave you with a pic of my new orchid, as I am still in my PJs, and won't risk being seen outside in them, taking photos. What would the neighbours say? I have pods coming on the Billbergias, and also a few more flowers, so will take some snaps today.
Sue

This message was edited Oct 19, 2012 7:04 AM