Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012, 1 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012
perke_patch wrote:
Hi everyone.
Interested that you mentioned guz lingulata variegated minor Nev as I have an envelope full of seed that I collected recently. The whole top of the dead flower was one big ball of fluff so I had to wrap it up and break it off. I put it all into a plastic cup until I had time to pick all the seed out of all the bits of pods and stems. If anyone wants to try some lingulata seedlings I'll happily share this seed as I'm not planning on putting down any more guz seed atm.

Seems we've had a visitor in our yard helping themselves again. I am dreading telling Shirley that when we went to get her vr megan today to put with the other vriseas we promised her the 2 pups of this that Johnny had growing in the front yard have BOTH disappeared. Just empty spots where they should be. one day last week we came home to find the fridge downstairs wide open. there were packets of seed on the floor but we just thought they had fallen off the door when it came open. we didn't think any more about it and haven't even gone through the seed to see if we can id any missing (highly unlikely as we wouldn't know what is in there), Now adding that to the missing Megans and we had a good look around. we found several other blank spots in the front yeard where we think there should have been a pot of something but we can't be 100% sure. Anyway we have a couple of Megans with pups on them so we might be able to offer a bare rooted pup straight off the mother plant. Johnny will have a selection for Shirley to choose from tomorrow.

Nev I realise that the ants or birds have probably pollinated the macroclamys but I am keen to see what we get out of it. pity the pods are only producing a single seed. it will take me a while to get a good supply of little plants. Sue I wish I had time and energy to wash windows but I'm flat out finding time to sweep and mop the floors and hang the washing up. I always go down and put it on as early as possible to get it done before the panels start exporting power but I often then don't remember to hang it out until lunch time or later. Once I get into the potting I forget time.

Did everyone hear about the death of Harry Luther today in Singapore? it has been confirmed by Cathcarts as true. he had a brain hemorrhage (sorry if spelled wrong) and died (I think in hospital as first report was that he was in hospital after hemorrhage)

Pic 1 is an Alan Freeman hybrid called Burgundy night but I think it is another of his unregistered neos.
Pic 2 is along the shelf of neos in front yard showing the brilliant colour
Pic3 is another Alan Freeman hybrid simply named AFRN5

Wendy