Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Central Midwest Gardening: Oct. 2012, here is Fall, another mild Winter?, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: Oct. 2012, here is Fall, another mild Winter?

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Oct. 2012, here is Fall, another mild Winter?
shortleaf wrote:
Thanks happ, just today my friend was asking me to ask about flies in the house, she was telling me she thinks they are coming from my plants. I've seen bugs flying around down before but not that many. A little spider keeps building a web down there oddly enuff very close to the Coleus. It had attached it's most recent web to a SpiderPlant that I turned so the light might hit another part of it, anyway, now it has to make the web again, I just realized I did that or I woulda left it alone. I got a photo of it today, it's barely attached to the SpiderPlant now.
I plan on cutting the heck out of the Coleus for cuttings but I don't want to kill the plant. I sent 2 cuttings of it, Wondering Jew and SnakePlant to a friend in North Carolina today.
He's a nice guy, if anybody wants to subscribe to him on Youtube he is Dynamic Gardening, he has good tutorials and info. on many plants and houseplants.

This Rose Tree that I bought at HomeDepot for $19.99 is blooming some Roses. Sorry the photo is so blurry but it's pretty dark out and that usually makes the photos blurry. I always take at least one other photo in case one is blurry, but this time they were both blurry, which is kinda unusual unless it's a gloomy day

Same blurriness with this rainy day photo I took, but why couldn't it rain like this in July?! In that one I took three photos and they ALL turned out blurry! -

How about this Mezoo that pepper sent me, these cuttings appear to have already rooted, it is quite nice. It will make a glorious hanging plant next year. It has this cool variegated look, glad it's so easy to grow from cuttings!

You can hardly see this Wondering Jew from this outside photo, but when I brought the big pot of Wondering Jew in the house this one big branch of it had fallen down below where the pot was. it has rooted! Now, I get to see first-hand how hardy it is, they say it is fine down to between 10 and 20 degrees, we'll see!

Thanks for the advice on the Cannas happ. Odd thing about the South side here tho, is there is nearly no sun due to the large Pin Oak trees. I'm hoping they'll be okay with the West side.
I hate to push it like that but if they don't do good in the shade, I would be upset with myself! The West side gets good afternoon and evening sun. I am also hoping that maybe there is enuff shelter from the North all over to take a chance like that on the West side.

Can I interest anyone in a small Ponytail Palm? To give you an idea what they look like, here is my biggest one, when I was photographing the red flower on the Mezoo cutting, it was photobombing below it. - The extra ones I have are about twice that small but will reach the King Tut size in a year or so. I'd just mail the whole plant in an envelope, I'd hope it wouldn't get flattened out maybe in an automated sorting the mail process, that wouldn't be good, but I don't think that happens. I've seen the big, expensive Ponytail Palms for sale, they are all bulbous at the bottom and really quite striking.
It's not a good plant to have around cats though, they like to pull the little ones all the way out of the pot from chewing/tugging on the leaves, the leaves are nice too. I've repotted at least one that I found out on the floor.

I'll see if I can find an Airplane Plant, I like the name too!
Will